Free individual English writing consultation
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) English Writing Lab at Hanyang University in Seoul, Korea, provides faculty, and graduate students with free individual native-speaker consultations to help authors improve English journal articles for clarity, organization, logic, and style. The service can also help with any document that directly supports publication such as responding to reviewer’s comments.
Feedback is first given by email, and then authors are encouraged to meet face to face with our consultant, Adam Turner, to ask questions and get additional suggestions to revise the paper. We not only make suggestions, but explain why changes should be made so that you can become a more skillful and independent writer.
This service does not correct all grammar, but feedback on important grammar errors that interfere with clear communication is given. After receiving a writing consultation, authors can also receive proofreading services from the research department (see 3 below).
The Center for Teaching and Learning English Writing Lab helps Hanyang University graduate students and faculty to publish in English international journals. We provide individual writing consultations, specialized workshops, materials and teaching.
Hanyang graduate students and faculty can receive a free writing consultation for SCI, SSCI, SCI-e or Arts and Humanities Index journal articles. For more information see the information below or download
How to apply for an English Writing consultation
a) First please view these checklists of common errors in research writing:
a) Then email email@example.com
b) Include your name, position (professor or graduate student), department and/or lab, phone number, email address, type of paper (SCI, SCI-e, SSCI, or A&HCI only), and deadline you need for feedback.
c) Attach your paper as an MS Word file (only). Delete any large color graphic figures so your paper is less than 3MB.
d) Finally, attach an already published sample article PDF file from the same journal you want to publish your paper in. Please include any reviewer’s comments if resubmitting to the journal, especially if related to problems with the English or the clarity of the writing.
You will receive email feedback using the commenting functions of MS Word from Adam Turner with suggestions for revision. After revising, you can
a) send the paper again with any questions you have using comments (memo) OR
b) meet for a face to face consultation; email or call 02-2220-1612 for an appointment AND
c) after revising, get free grammar proofreading from the research department for SCI, SCI-e, SSCI, and A&HCI journal articles at least co-authored by a Hanyang professor. Please view this PPT file for more information www.hanyang.ac.kr/data/101279/106_0.ppt
NOTE: You can receive a writing consultation without proofreading or proofreading from the research department 2220-0874 directly without receiving a English Writing Lab consultation.
The English Writing lab consultation service is available only to Hanyang students and faculty.
The service is closed for the winter until Feb. 25th 2015
Top handouts and e-books
2. Tutorial on advanced search to check English grammar, analyze grammar patterns, and build vocabulary using text from your own field (PDF 1.8 MB)
3. for each section of the research article (PDF)
4. Guide to the most common in graduate student science and engineering articles (2 MB PDF)
5. A guide to using references and avoiding plagiarism in sciences and engineering.
6. Guide to biomedial writing PDF ebook.
7. APA style from UBC Library (PDF)
8. International formats for writing the date correctly (PDF)
9. Correct format for writing formal email (PDF)
10. How to modify the settings of the MS Word editing functions. Many students and faculty I work with are not aware of many ways that files can be viewed and even printed (1 MB).
11. How to modify the "autocorrect" function so that it automatically changes the most common grammar mistakes you have identified in your own writing. It is designed to correct typical typing mistakes but it can be personalized to automatically correct grammar as well.
12. MS Word skills such as how to indent without using the default TAB or spacebar, how Word can analyze your level of writing, and how to format dashes and APA style references (2.4 MB PDF).
firstname.lastname@example.org (Adam Turner)
Information in English from Adam Turner 02-2220-1612
Information in Korean 02-2220-1819
Center for Teaching and Learning
Hanyang University Seoul, Korea